I can’t fund the IRA I put on my tax return. What can I do?

By Karin Price Mueller | NJMoneyHelp.com for NJ.com

Q. On my 2019 tax return, I took the tax credit for a traditional IRA contribution in advance of making the contribution. My intention was to make the $6,000 contribution by April 15, 2020. Then COVID-19 hit. I lost my job. I'm on unemployment with an uncertain financial situation. With the new July 15 tax filing deadline looming, I don't have the money for the contribution. Is the IRS making exceptions for this situation in light of these uncertain times? If not, what penalties will I face?

— Unemployed

A. We understand how times have changed for so many people since the coronavirus pandemic began.

And while we’re always supportive of saving for retirement, paying the bills today is more important.

According to IRS Publication 17, “Your Federal Income Tax,” you can file your return claiming a traditional IRA contribution before the contribution is actually made.

Generally, the contribution must be made by the due date of your return, not including extensions, said Bernie Kiely, a certified financial planner and certified public accountant with Kiely Capital Management in Morristown.

He said your 2019 federal income tax return’s due date is July 15, 2020. If someone can’t make the July 15 due date, they should file Form 4868, “Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File US Individual Income Tax Return.”

“If you cannot deposit the $6,000 into your IRA account by July 15, you are not entitled to the tax deduction,” Kiely said. “The remedy for this is to file an amended tax return and include a check for the change in income taxes. There will be no penalty if you pay the tax by July 15.”

Email your questions to Ask@NJMoneyHelp.com.

Karin Price Mueller writes the Bamboozled column for NJ Advance Media and is the founder of NJMoneyHelp.com. Follow NJMoneyHelp on Twitter @NJMoneyHelp. Find NJMoneyHelp on Facebook. Sign up for NJMoneyHelp.com’s weekly e-newsletter.

Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square



  • facebook-square
  • linkedin-square

Phone: 973-455-1894 | 51 Dumont Place, Morristown, NJ 07960 | Get directions!

Kiely Capital Management offers financial planning and investment advice. Serving Central and Northern New Jersey, Yvonne and Bernard (Bernie) Kiely provide over 25 years of experience offering discretionary asset management, retirement planning and income tax preparation. KCM is registered with the State of New Jersey as a Registered Investment Advisor.


“The only thing we sell is good advice.”

© 2018-2020 Kiely Capital Management Inc. All rights reserved.

Website Design by VIP Solutions.biz